Thursday, March 15, 2012

The AMAZING RED Zone Student Ambassador Recipe

I still remember the first day that I came to York University as an International student. On that particular day, I had to get my student card; every emotion was running through my mind. All of these mixed emotions were quickly resolved when I was graciously welcomed by the RED Zone ambassador. The approachable demeanor of the RED Zone staff made me feel like I was back at home where I felt safe to ask whatever question I desired. 

Once I realized that RED Zone was a safe and comfortable environment, I quickly began to ask more questions regarding both the academic and student life at York. RED Zone has provided me with ample opportunities to get involved and has been one of the most beneficial programs.  Ever since that positive and helpful experience, I have wanted to “pay it forward” and help my fellow York peers. 

1.      Knowledge of York:
Vari Hall
I have been volunteering as a student ambassador for two years now at York University. This position has given me the chance to continuously speak and engage with large and diverse crowds of prospective students and their parents. It has also taught me how to interact with people by asking questions and playing interactive games during presentations. Also, this role has given me many opportunities to gain a wealth of knowledge about the University’s academic and student life through: ambassador training, continuous guiding tours and volunteering for a variety of big events, such as Ontario University Fair, Fall Campus Day and Spring Gala.                                       

2.      Knowledge of Colleges:
I hold the position as Peer Mentor at New College since last September, basically, the role of this position is to help first year New College students to get involved in their college and expand their knowledge of the program and service that York offers. This position has allowed me to understand the needs of students and offer them guidance in dealing with the issues they face in their academic or campus life. One of the questions that I am asked on a regular basis is, “How can I apply for scholarships or bursaries?” From that question, I can suggest the process and show them how to. Also, I am in constant collaboration with other mentors and officers to organize college events such as coffee maker, peer mentor ice-breaker and so forth.

During my first year, I will never forget the advice and encouragement that my Don gave to me. He suggest that I be active in the York community and attend campus events to ultimately keep myself busy to overcome being homesick. And, I can honestly say that this advice really worked, it has the Leo guarantee :)  As result, I have joined and held a leadership position in two distinct clubs: 1) International Students Aassociation@ York, where I volunteered for a bunch of events including: International Week and 2) Atkinson Professional Accounting Association, where I am working as the Communication Director. During these positions, I have developed my interpersonal skill and have become a sensitive listener through the continuous interactions with other students. Also, I have developed great organizational and promotion skills through tabling, sending promotional messages to club members and assisting in holding a variety of events such as: the CA Night, PwC recruiting workshop, Annual Spring Networking Night and so forth.

I have been living in residence for 3 years and regard it as my second home. My experience of living in residence has familiarized me with the Residence Life program as well as issues/concerns facing the residence community. Currently, I am working as a Night Porter at Pond Residence. Through this, I have become a good team player where I work with other porters, greet and sign-in guests by taking a proactive approach in building a cohesive community based on mutual respect, consideration and open-mindedness. On top of this position, I also hold a volunteer position as an event organizer at Pond Rez Council. This is where residence gets really fun! We have organized events such as: Potluck, Multicultural Fair and Pond Semifinal for residents. Click the video to see how amazing it is to live in residence at York. (From HealthED @ York)                                                   

Having an extended knowledge of York, Student Clubs and Associations, the Colleges, and Residences are the core ingredients for becoming an AMAZING RED Zone Student ambassador. I truly would love the opportunity to join the RED Zone team where I could give back to York all of the blessings that have been given to me  ^ ^  

2 comments:

  1. I L-O-V-E your Tours of York. I'm really inspired by how much work you put into all of your posts, with all the pictures and videos. Awesome Job Leo. I wish you the BEST OF LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Nicole. :) I really like the posts in your blogger too, especially the video :) You are awesome! :) And best luck to you!!! ^ ^

      Delete